Arthur Noid (Commodore 16 and Plus/4 game review...)

franco

RetroActive
Αντιδράσεις
Dear friends,

How many times did you play Arkanoid on your computers ???? This was of course a game that everybody knows because it was one of the first videogames of the history... well, also the persons like me who had the "poor brother" of the Commodore 64, the Commodore Plus/4, had their own Arkanoid version... and was named "Arthur Noid" (followed by other versions) produced and copyrighted by Mr. Chip Software and coded by Shaun Southern (Sout), the 264 CBM series genius... Let' s take a look inside the game with the usual video taken from youtube...

The Arthur Noid version is a classic Arkanoid clone, with the bar that you have to move to left and to right in order to avoid the ball fall down, and to destroy the walls... also in this version, there are the bricks who give the bar some enrichments and bonuses (multiball, shoot capacity, faster balls and so on) and the game is completed also with enemies that the player has to avoid in order not to loose a life... The game in his complex is cute and easy to play, but the part that gets me crazy is the sound... Shaun Southern was probably the only coder for the Plus/4 that was able to insert background music in the gameplaying... The accompanying music is cute and well rhythmed, but has a defect... the notes are all in high register (the TED works faster in this case and saves memory) and can produce a headache, until you play the game at a low volume level... but it' s kinda hypnotic... but it' s a ripe music, because if you listen to it with the modern pc speakers or audio systems, the only speakers that work to reproduce and play it are the tweeters (I' m joking of course...)

A hug to everybody all there !!!!

Frank

Niceeeeeeeeeeee! :) I like the music too! :) But you're right Fra! :) It's too high! :)

Arkanoid is a most favourite game of mine.

I play it on Nintendo DS these days!!!!!!!

Πίσω
Μπλουζα