Bubble Trouble (for Commodore 16 and Commodore Plus/4)

franco

RetroActive
Αντιδράσεις
Dear friends, here we are once again...

This time I would like to offer and show to you the screenshots of a game that accompanied me during the years of my early childhood... the name of the game, that runs on the Commodore 16 and Commodore Plus/4, is "BUBBLE TROUBLE", was coded and programmed by Howlin Mad and published by Players in the year of 1986...

Before putting the images, let me say something about the Plus/4... a very good computer, more powerful than the Commodore 64 (64K RAM useful while the C64 had only 39K per user) and more faster, but intended mainly for programming and office working purposes, and not for gaming...

Unlike the Commodore 64, that had two separate chips for the audio and the video (the Sid and the VIC II), the Plus 4 was equipped only with one chip that controlled both the audio and the video, its name is TED ("Text Editing Device")

Having only a chip that controls these parts, the sound is less rich than the Commodore 64 (only two wave sound generators, plus a third used as a "white noise"), and in fact in the games the music is almost totally absent, and the "soundtrack" consists only of some "beeps" and crunchy noises... even if, in some cases (e.g. the games programmed by Shaun Southern from England who put the TED to its maximum limits), also the TED can generate nice tunes... for example, the opening tune of the game "POD Proof of Mass Destruction" was played by both the two tone sound generators, and is very cute...

Another problem of the Plus/4 is that TED had (and has) not the sprite handling, so the game are less fluid in the movement compared to those of Commodore 64...

But now it's time for the screenshots !!!!

This is "Bubble Trouble" played by myself this evening... in this game, you represent a little soap bubble who is dept into a sink full of water, dust, monsters to avoid and other smaller bubbles... Aim of the game is to eat at least nine of these bubbles in order to "fly away" from the sink and to go to the next level... Enemies are the monsters, the objects that are thrown in the sink, a spider and a duckling... Seems to be a simple game, but believe me, it's really really hard !!!!

The presentation screen (turn off the volume !!!! weird noises here haha !!!!)

[edit] Dead pic [edit]

The first level...

[edit] Dead pic [edit]

The second level...

[edit] Dead pic [edit]

Oh no !!! The game is over !!!! (five lives waisted in two levels... hi !!!!)

[edit] Dead pic [edit]

Τελευταία επεξεργασία από έναν συντονιστή:
Appears a funny game Fra! :) Is there a video on youtube about it? :)

Unfortunately no Anna... you have also to consider that this was a very very very very hard loading game... there were a lot of probabilities that the LOAD ERROR message appeared at the end of the loading than the loading ended as well... probably for this reason there is no video upload on yt...

The most simple of ideas make the most wonderfull games.......

Fantastic work Franco!!!!!!!!

Πίσω
Μπλουζα