Microprose Soccer

franco

RetroActive
Αντιδράσεις
(this game was developed by Sensible Software in 1988 and published from Microprose in the same year. Coded by Chris Yates and music by Martin Galway).

I haven't found in the section a description about this game that personally was my favourite game in absolute on the Commodore 64 when I was younger... I started playing it in 1991 when I was 11 years old and, since it's a very hard-playing game, my first soccer matches, even if I took the "strongers" soccer teams such like Brazil, Italy, Argentina, Germany (or better "W GERMANY") and so on, it was impossible for me to win a match...

The most common way to score a goal in this game is to position the player at the external border of the area and to shoot a diagonal kick... other ways are the "banana kick" (hold down the fire button and contemporary move the joystick in the correspondant direction) or when beating a corner kick...

Nowadays, I use the Australia or the New Zealand to play, and these are the results... I put only the images of one match, because the tournament is too long... enjoy them !!!!

[edit] Dead pics [edit]

Τελευταία επεξεργασία από έναν συντονιστή:
A very good game, I used to play it a lot on a friend's C64 and wonder why the Amiga didn't have an equally decent football title. That was before Kick Off was released, of course. But Microprose Soccer was certainly ahead of its time, in fact I think it's my favorite Microprose piece of software ever. :cool:

For the Commodore 64 there was also the "Emlyn Hughes International Soccer" or an hybrid "International Soccer" available on cartridge and programmed by Andrew Spencer for the Commodore Business Machines... but honestly I have always preferred Microprose Soccer to these two other soccer games... :)

Nice thread!!!

But, as everyone knows already, I am a HUGE football hater.

Never liked these kind of games, and never will.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed your original post, even under these conditions!!

Pitty that the best 8bit football games series (Match Day) was such a disastrous port in the Commies...

I personally used to be a football fan but have quit seeing/playing or doing anything even remotely related to football/soccer since I was 19 or 20. Unfortunately, I haven`t played Microprose Soccer but I was a huge fan of International Soccer. That one as opposed to Microprose Soccer used a horizontal scrolling football field. I can recall myself playing tournaments with the AI at various levels (1-9 I think) and keeping a scoreboard myself.

Those were they days!!! Thanks for refreshing our memories!!

[edit] Dead pic attach #5259[edit]

pooky(1) είπε:
Nice thread!!!
But, as everyone knows already, I am a HUGE football hater.

Never liked these kind of games, and never will.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed your original post, even under these conditions!!
Thank you my friend !!!! I'm happy that you have find my post useful, even if you don't like football games... it's a question of tastes and preferences... ;)

Wally είπε:
Pitty that the best 8bit football games series (Match Day) was such a disastrous port in the Commies...
Personally, my opinion is that Match Day and Match Day II have got a lot of unuseful features (e.g. changing the color of the field, adding goals manually to the score and so on...) but the handling while playing is quite impossible... even scoring a goal is almost like this... I have tried it but there was no way to take completely control of the game playing :)

divined είπε:
I personally used to be a football fan but have quit seeing/playing or doing anything even remotely related to football/soccer since I was 19 or 20. Unfortunately, I haven`t played Microprose Soccer but I was a huge fan of International Soccer. That one as opposed to Microprose Soccer used a horizontal scrolling football field. I can recall myself playing tournaments with the AI at various levels (1-9 I think) and keeping a scoreboard myself.
Those were they days!!! Thanks for refreshing our memories!!

Προβολή συνημμένου 5259
You are welcome mate !!!! :) Regarding International Soccer, I have also tried to play it... it's practical to play, and I think that this game gave the idea to the Audiogenic team when they published "Emlyn Hughes International Soccer"... :)

!

Great game!! and it was amazing in doubles!! I used to play against my cousin in his C64.. In my opinion, it was far better than match day 2 I was playing in my Amstrad. I remembered the curving shots!! Shoot Banana Platini:)

The curving shots were a "must" my friend :) when the "banana power" on the control panel was set to "hi" it was amusing... :)

I remember also that one time I tried to set the match length at 12 minutes, and I beated the Oman with a score of approximately 38-0... other times !!!!

Geia !!!!

My all time favourite soccer game (unfortunately - or not - I didnt own any home computers back in those days - just an Amstrad 1512 PC).

I remember playing the indoor game as well, and using PC-Tools to change the American Team Names to Greek Names!

The outdoor game was amazing too. The banana kick was a must - and I remember laughing so hard when I first saw the players being unable to tackle properly, under heavy rain...LOL!

tantalos είπε:
My all time favourite soccer game (unfortunately - or not - I didnt own any home computers back in those days - just an Amstrad 1512 PC).
I remember playing the indoor game as well, and using PC-Tools to change the American Team Names to Greek Names!

The outdoor game was amazing too. The banana kick was a must - and I remember laughing so hard when I first saw the players being unable to tackle properly, under heavy rain...LOL!
I have tried more than once to code in machine language and to modify the instructions of the original game in order to change the names of the teams, but I have never reached this objective because unprotecting a game for Commodore 64, if someone does not deeply know how to code, is really hard... :)

And actually when the weather option was active, the tackles were really funny !!!! (and sometimes there were also some fantastic autogoals) ;)

Πίσω
Μπλουζα