Batman Forever by Batman Group

Γειά χαρά σε όλους σε όλους :)

Έχουν περάσει από τα χέρια μου, games και games, καθώς καί ότι λογής Demo μπορεί να φανταστεί κανείς σε όλα τα μηχανήματα που έχουν περάσει από τα χέρια μου... πάντα τον Amstrad μου τον λάτρευα... ποτέ όμως δεν μπορούσα να φανταστώ, ότι θα υπήρχε ποτέ έστω και μικρή πιθανότητα να δώ κάτι σαν και αυτό που είδα στην οθονη του!!! Δεν ξέρω πως να περιγράψω τα συναισθήματά μου... απλά ΚΑΤΑΠΛΗΚΤΙΚΟ!

Μόλις σήμερα το είδα, εντελώς τυχαία.. Και έπαθα τη πλάκα μου!!

ΑΠΙΣΤΕΥΤΟ κυριολεκτικά... Σε όλα τα μέρη του, καταπληκτική δουλειά!

Σχετικά με zoom, είχα φτιάξει μια ανάλογη ρουτίνα θυμάμαι για το Chaos Megademo που ετοιμάζαμε κάπου το 1995, αν δεν κάνω λάθος. Σε όσους το έδειχνα δεν το πίστευαν.. (για όσους καταλαβαίνουν: Line per line splitting μεσω CRTC)

Βεβαια πολλά άλλα εφέ δεν έχω ιδέα πως επιτυγχάνονται! (ισως πρόκειται για κάποιου είδου film ρουτίνες)

Respect!!

Interview of Rhino from Batman Group (March 2011)
Rhino from Batman Group is the main programmer behind the very impressive Batman Forever demo. I was curious to know more about him, as also get details about this production.. He kindly accepted to answer my questions, hope you will enjoy the read!

3439230.png

1. Hi Rhino! Can you quickly present yourself? (country, past productions..)

Hi NoRecess. Well, my name is Alejandro and I'm from Spain, I'm 33 years old and I started programming with Amstrad Basic when I was 11 :)

2. You are famous for your Batman Vuelve demo on Amiga OCS/ECS (16-bits). Why a sequel 15 years later.. on a 8-bits platform?

6077858.jpeg
Well, there are many reasons, after a long time working for money, I needed to do something for love to the art. Another good reason was my friend, sister's husband and also Batman Group member nicknamed "Batman", who provoked me with the c64 demos and the eternal debate about which is the best 8 bit machine.

3. How much time did you spend programming the demo?

It was a very interrupted work, I started in early 2009, so are 2 years and 3 months! of which have been many months off due to personal and family life, so I have not recorded continuously, but could be almost a year.

4. Which tools did you use?

I used WinAPE, Arnold, Netbeans, Promotion, Photoshop, Arkos Tracker, YMCruncher, KitAY, CPCDiskXP, Discology, Art Studio, a binary editor, and own tools from Arnoldemu and me (I do not think I miss anything :)

5. What are the biggest technical challenges you encountered while creating this demo? Was mastering advanced graphical technics (CRTC..) the biggest challenge?

Well, actually I think CRTC is a chip easy for programming and, today, well documented. I recommend everyone learn CRTC and master it, the Grimware page can be very useful. I think the hardest part is to devise solutions to carry out an objective using all the needed available capacities of the machine. But I will tell you more about it, after.

4644878.png

6. You had hard times finding an available musician. Why did it take so long ?

I think really there are not very much active CPC musicians, it is normal for a small scene, and I understand that someone new like me, who knew no one in this scene, may have trouble for this purpose. At first, Dj Uno was making the musics, but finally he had not time to finish it. Then, I had the demo almost finished but without musics :/Fortunately, Optimus and Paulbrk helped me to contact with Factor 6 and Yzi, although they were not from the cpc scene.

7. Still about the music, Targhan is not listed in credits. Does it mean Factor 6 did not use Starkos/ArkosTracker? Is that case, which tool did he use for composing the tune? On the programming side, is it a custom audio player?

1402114.png
Factor 6 used Starkos and Yzi Arkos Tracker :) Well, I must say that Targhan helped me a lot at first, when I had little idea about the sound on CPC and he is mentioned at the greetings/acknowledgments, like Grim and others. About audio player I modified the ayc player routine from kitay to get a selectable constant cycle usage, and to play samples while music.

8. In one of the screens, you clearly make attacks to Vanity team. They do great demos after all. What are precisely your rants against them?

1426728.png
Hehe, I have not problems with Vanity, but I think using watch and learn as slogan, may have consequences, because anyone can take the hint. I think they have much to say yet, and now it's time to demostrate it.

9. I have been highly impressed by your animation system (the bats & flying 3D chip in the intro, the rotating Batman sign, the 3D cubes..). Can you tell us a bit more about it?

CPC-side, is it full software rendering? Does it make heavy use of precalculation?

6614248.png
Of course, I can say it was a different concept. Normally we think about the screen as a bidimensional space (x & y), my alternative was think as a bidimensional system (x & time).

10. What is the part you are the most "proud" in this demo? Why?

9254116.png
Let me expand on this so that readers can understand me.

In my opinion, there are two different approach to make a 8-bit demo.

The first one is, basically, try to make the best possible effects with an aesthetically pleasing design, and to achieve it is often necessary suit well to the hardware of the machine, or doing those techniques that the coder manages better. The result of this kind of demos is usually an excellent technical performance but low in message content and profundity, because there are not intended to convey anything beyond pure aesthetic beauty. The creator of these demos is strongly conditioned by the apparent limits of the machine or their own personal limitations and prejudices, and, ultimately, the machine imposes its "limits" and determines the work, machine is who heads to the coder about what can and can not do. The creator does not attempt to give more profundity to his work because he is misled by the

apparent limitations that machine shows and thinks it could not be done. This represents, symbolically, the triumph of Machine over Man, and a very poor and primitive demomaking concept even for 8 bit, in my opinion. Edge of Disgrace or From Scratch are two of the highest peaks of this kind of 8 bit demos. They are beautiful works of craftsmanship, but not works of Art for me.

For the second approach, you first must to have something to tell, an inspiration or idea, a message to convey. Then it is needed to do a script or storyboard in a similar way as you would for a movie or a comic. And finally, examine the hardware and the "limitations" of the machine in order to get a worthy performing your story, your message across to the viewer. This approach often forces to find alternative technics, to break with the past to find new ways and get to shape the story in the machine, is rarely achieved, but when achieved, the limits (apparent) of the machine are broken by the will of creator. This is what I tried to do in this demo. Batman Forever is, above all, the story of a comeback, like the wonderful comic The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, but also a story of redemption and justice, expressed on the literary genre of "demomaking" :) , and then, because it is a demo, there is also time to show some nice effect and to beat some record.

There are not a separate part, I am proud to achieve my main goal with the set... (Sorry for the rambling philosophical, btw)

8054660.png

11. This is your "first" demo on Amstrad CPC. Was it hard for you to master the platform? What were your information sources, cf. sites, documentation..?

I did a little intro and several routines in the early 90's also (100% Z80) :)

About the question, It was not very hard really, by the help of pages like cpcwiki, grimware and cpcrulez mainly. And, of course, the real master Arnoldemu.

12. With the amount of required work to meet the new requirements you just set with Batman Forever, can we consider this demo also being your "last" demo for the Amstrad CPC?

I really do not know yet, it all depends on how events elapse. Just need inspiration, will and determination to do it again...

13. Finally, this is free topic for you: do you have some additional thoughts or whatever to say?

2840749.png
Just to thank all the comments received these days and the good reception.

End of Interview. Thank you a million Rhino for your time answering these questions, that was interesting !
http://www.norecess.net/interview-rhino.html
Y.Γ.

:p :p:p

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=56799

56799.png

:p :p:p

Τελευταία επεξεργασία από έναν συντονιστή:
Το νεο blog entry του Optimus στο οποιο κανει μια πρωτη τεχνικη προσεγγιση του demo, χρηζει μεγιστης προσοχης απο τους home-micro-maniacs. Ευγε!

Wally είπε:
Το νεο blog entry του Optimus στο οποιο κανει μια πρωτη τεχνικη προσεγγιση του demo, χρηζει μεγιστης προσοχης απο τους home-micro-maniacs. Ευγε!
Πολυ ενδιαφερωντα τα blog entries του Optimus ,οσα καταλαβαινω δηλαδη, γιατι οσων αφορα το μεγαλυτερο μερος ,"It s all geek to me"

Little...

..."Bruce Wayne" approves! Ο Άγγλος Christian Bale -γεννηθείς το 1974- ενώ έπαιζε με ένα CPC 464:

ajrBZN0_700b.jpg

Κάποτε μάλιστα σε μια συνέντευξη του στο "Ε" της Ελευθεροτυπίας, ο Μιχάλης Λιάπης είχε φωτογραφηθεί με τον γιο του να "παίζουν" σε έναν 6128, αλλά δυστυχώς δεν μπορώ να βρω αυτή τη φωτογραφία πουθενά...

Sorry για το off topic, αλλά δεν είχα που αλλού να το βάλω...

Aυτά είναι !! :headbangdude:

Τι καλύτερο για να χαλαρώσει κανείς απο τα γυρίσματα της "Αυτοκρατορίας του Ηλιου", απο ένα gaming session με τον λατρεμένο Amstrad. :thumbup: (όχι μόνο αυτό, αλλά ο Μπέηλ χρησιμοποιεί και το αγαπημένο μου joystick της εποχής, ένα Cheetah Mach 1 !!)

Amstrad, κύριοι. Η επιλογή των ανθρώπων με ταλέντο. :cool:

Μεχρι να φορτωσει ο 464, ειχε μαθει απ' εξω τον Αμλετ. Χρησιμο

Το φόρτωμα του 464 είναι μιά χαρά γρήγορο - thank you very much.

Kαι ας μην ξεχνάμε το βασικότερο: Στον Amstrad περιμένεις, γιατί το αποτέλεσμα αξίζει.

Στον spectrum περιμένεις να φορτώσει, και απο αυτό που τελικά βλέπεις, συμπεραίνεις ότι αγόρασες λάθος μηχάνημα. :tease:

Ace είπε:
..."Bruce Wayne" approves! Ο Άγγλος Christian Bale -γεννηθείς το 1974- ενώ έπαιζε με ένα CPC 464:
Προβολή συνημμένου 96313

Κάποτε μάλιστα σε μια συνέντευξη του στο "Ε" της Ελευθεροτυπίας, ο Μιχάλης Λιάπης είχε φωτογραφηθεί με τον γιο του να "παίζουν" σε έναν 6128, αλλά δυστυχώς δεν μπορώ να βρω αυτή τη φωτογραφία πουθενά...

Sorry για το off topic, αλλά δεν είχα που αλλού να το βάλω...
Αφου εβαλες το πριν

βαλε και το μετα

amstrad 555.jpg

Πίσω
Μπλουζα