Μιλάμε το κατέστρεψαν και μου έχει ανέβει το αίμα στο κεφάλι. Το WOS ήταν εκπληκτική πηγή πληροφοριών και τώρα πάει. Πολύ καλά εργαλεία αναζήτησης: πάνε. Σκορ παιχνιδιών, τοπ 100: πάνε. Το χειρότερο είναι ότι κάτω από κάθε παιχνίδι, εταιρία, προγραμματιστή είχε links με τα περιοδικά που αναφερόταν. Ακόμα και αν τα links ήταν νεκρά τα έβρισκες στο internet archive εύκολα. Τώρα πάνε όλα.2 χρόνια τους πήρε αλλά τα κατάφεραν...
Δεν ξέρω αν μπήκε κανένας στο WOS τελευταία να δει το έκτρωμα που φτιάξανε, αλλά μοιάζει πολύ με το παραπάνω.
Μάλλον θέλουν να μας διώξουν δεν εξηγείται αλλιώς
What is WoS Classic?
WoSC is a reincarnation of the old WoS site, before the complete transformation that took place in mid-June 2020. It aims to retain the look and feel of the original site, but be updated more often, be easier to navigate and use, make better use of modern technologies and standards and be far easier to maintain. In short, it will be what WoS could have been had it been kept up to date.
Why was WoS Classic started?
When the WoS site was handed over to the present custodian, all updates (both in technical and content) stopped, and the site sat there rotting for a number of years whilst a new version was being ‘developed’. Whilst the community was frustrated that nothing was moving, the site still worked adequately, and was still the number one source for Spectrum downloads, information and entertainment.
A brilliant alternative in Spectrum Computing has existed for a few years, and does an excellent job of recreating the Sinclair Infoseek. Sadly, many people have preferred to stick with their beloved WoS.
As time passed, some parts of WoS ceased to function and it was becoming clear that a replacement of either the site or its maintainer was required, and some members of the WoSC team even looked into the possibility of setting up a rival or attempting to obtain WoS for the good of the community.
None of these came to pass, however, as there was no real incentive while WoS was still doing its job. That all changed in June 2020 when the new version of WoS was launched, to almost universal lament. Vast swathes of information and resources were missing, and the features that did exist were slow, buggy and hard to use. Over 90% of the links to WoS from search engines were broken overnight, including any links to pages on the site from elsewhere on the web. As of the launch date of WoSC, many of these links are still broken, and the current maintainer either doesn’t care or is unable to rectify this situation, which is reflective of his entire tenure. Despite dozens of posts in the first few days, and multiple outages that lasted for unacceptably long times, very little was done to improve the new site and no attempt was made to revert to the old site while the problems were ironed out.
The simplicity and ease of use of WoS were gone, the replacement was bereft of charm or character, and it was unpleasant to use.
The WoSC team decided that it was now or never; faced with this incompetent and beligerant individual and his small group of accomplices, something had to be done to protect the content and information, return the WoS experience to the community and attempt to wrest control of this precious resource away. Using previously obtained resources, a big crunch proceeded to rebuild what could rebuilt, to fix problems that had existed on the old site as much as possible, and place the site on a technically more advanced and robust platform.
The goal was clear – Provide a modern World Of Spectrum site and community with the essence of the original.
Is WoS Classic affiliated with WoS?
Not at all. WoSC is completely independent from WoS and has received no blessing or authorisation. However, where WoS is closed (in more ways than one), the WosC team aim to be open, embracing and responsive to the community and the changing internet.
What can WoS Classic currently do?
Quite a lot, considering there is no database, and very little code running on the server at the moment;
- Archive – you can browse categories and titles alphabetically. The item pages should still be working as well as they did previously
- Infoseek – arguably the most important part of WoS is Sinclair Infoseek, and we are pleased to have returned this functionality in a form very close to the original
- Usage of the assets from the 90Gb dump from TOSEC with all the assets from WoS and elsewhere, utilising the data in ZXBD and ZX Info.
- Preservation – many of the preservation projects linked to in the archive pages have their content, although submissions don’t currently work
- Assets – scans from games and ripped music and screenshots are partially available. Books and magazines aren’t but we will be uploading the TOSEC archive soon!
- Charts – the top 100s generated on the old site are still available in static form. These will start getting updated again soon
- Documentation, In Memoriam, Hardware, Project AY content – this should all be available and was the biggest loss when WoS was updated. We are working on ways to improve access to these
- Emulators, Utiltiies, Sales (active houses), Links etc – the links to items hosted on WoS still work, and so do any to external sites that previously worked
- Site Awards – it works. Whether it’s relevant is debatable
- Links from search engines from other sites – it is our intention that every link should work as it did when it was made, with the caveat that you must change .org to .net in the web address